Friday, May 18, 2007

Quote for Today

"If you could only learn the lesson of absolute self-forgetfulness, it would save you a great deal of trial. Out of self and into Christ are the two essential steps always, and the last cannot be fully taken without the first. For just so far, as we dwell in self, we are not dwelling in Christ, and just to that degree, therefore, all goes wrong." --Hannah Whitall Smith

I came across this quote as I was preparing for a session that I am doing on Modesty tomorrow. It was written in the book How Hot is Too Hot by Hayley Dimarco. I just stopped when I read this quote...it really made sense to me. I posted last week on the verse, Galatians 5:16, because this verse has been on my heart recently and it basically says that the key to not fulfilling the desires of the sinful nature is to live by the Spirit. Then I found this quote and it went right along with what God was teaching me. It is a daily challenge and task to die to self and allow Christ to reign in our Heart. When we do this, it all makes sense.

Self-absorption can take many forms, whether we are too confident in ourselves or whether we are loathing about ourselves...both are forms of self-absorption and this post on Living Proof Ministries Blog discusses it. So check it out, it is a great story and has a good point to help us rid ourselves of self-absorption.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Good stuff. It's all about death to self. Ouch.

I've tagged you with a meme "8 things about Me". Check out my place for the rules.
Blessings on your weekend.