Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Bible Verse Memorization

Dear Friends,

Recently, I have been trying to step up my Scripture Memorization. This is truly an area in my life that needs to improve. I have a lot of verses memorized and can easily recite them when needed, but most of these verses are from my childhood. This is good and bad: Good that I still remember them...Bad that I am not in the habit of memorizing new ones to add to my list.

So, I am trying to find ways in my everyday life to incorporate memorizing Scripture. All I have been able to come up with so far that really seems to work is to take 3 X 5 cards with the verses on them to the YMCA with me and read them while I am on the Treadmill. I have found this to be very effective.

I am wondering though if anyone has any other suggestions of things I can do to really step it up and find more ways to "hide God's Word in my heart." Please let me know of anything that you do that helps in this area.

Thanks.

4 comments:

eph2810 said...

Mhm - I think the cards is a great solution. But I also highlight my Bible when I read and for some reason the verse just sticks in my head.

Blessings on your Thursday and always.

Mary said...

Use the cards if they work for you. I'm memorizing scripture with my mentor. I find that as I meditate on them, they get in my heart and stay with me longer. I also go over all my verses daily. It keeps them fresh. We need to "sharpen our swords" with getting the Word into our hearts. Good job. Keep it up.
Blessings.

Karen said...

This is an area where I need some improvement as well--I guess it's a discipline thing! I, too, use 3x5 cards and usually post one on my bathroom mirror and one on the window above my kitchen sink--two areas where I consistently spend time each day. So maybe posting cards in a few more places might help....but if it works for you to take them to the Y while you work out, that's great, too. Or, if you love music, try finding some verses set to music. I had a Bible study once that came with a CD with all the memory verses for that study set to music, and that was also helpful. Blessings, Karen

Deena Peterson said...

I highlight verses that God gives me periodically in my study. I've also found that it helps if I don't just memorize it, but if I break it down and study it...gives it more meaning.

And, you might not like this one, but I also find that Scripture that I've lived tends to really stick...I really think that's what it means to hide God's Word in my heart.