Monday, June 11, 2007

Make me a Servant

My hubby and I leave in a week and a half for a Missions Trip. We are Lay Leaders in the Youth Group at our church and the youth group goes to Maine every year to do service projects up there and put on 2 Vacation Bible Schools for the local children. So, much of our service on this trip will be leading our Youth group kids during the trip and helping them minister to the little children in Maine.

Anyway, we have been so busy with getting things organized and ready for this trip. Tonight, we received an email from the youth Pastor telling us what location we would both be at (we serve two cities while in Maine), and it was not what we were hoping for, not what we wanted. My first reaction was to complain to my hubby about this and ask him if we could see if they could rearrange this, simply because we wanted to be at the other location. Pathetic, I know, but I am being honest here about this.

The more I thought about it, the more convicted I felt about my reaction. I knew that I needed to be willing to serve wherever they needed me and that this is what going on a missions trip is about...serving in ways that we might not like.

God brought to my heart His Words from Philippians 2:3-8:

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!

Wow...these verses hit me hard. I pray that God will give me the grace and strength to humble myself and truly put the needs and wants of others above mine, so that I may please God in this situation.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

God obviously has some special plans for you! I'm sure He is testing you to make sure you are willing to serve wherever you are needed.

Deborah said...

Your blog name reminds me of something our pastor always says: are we living with eternity in mind are we building with eternity in mind. love always me

Melanie said...

I have a special prayer request over at my blog. I would appreciate it if you would stop by and let me know that you will be helping me pray.